top of page

By:

Dr. Abhilash Dawre

19 March 2025 at 5:18:41 pm

Twenty-Four Nigerian nationals detained

Dombivli: Police have detained 24 Nigerian nationals from a high-profile society in the Khoni-Palava area of Dombivli. The detained foreign nationals are originally from Ghana and Uganda in South Africa. Police are investigating whether the detained Nigerians have any connection with drug trafficking. The major action was carried out through a joint combing operation conducted by Thane and Navi Mumbai Police between 3 am and 10 am. During the operation, a Nigerian woman allegedly attempted...

Twenty-Four Nigerian nationals detained

Dombivli: Police have detained 24 Nigerian nationals from a high-profile society in the Khoni-Palava area of Dombivli. The detained foreign nationals are originally from Ghana and Uganda in South Africa. Police are investigating whether the detained Nigerians have any connection with drug trafficking. The major action was carried out through a joint combing operation conducted by Thane and Navi Mumbai Police between 3 am and 10 am. During the operation, a Nigerian woman allegedly attempted to flee by jumping from a building. Police said further action would be taken against her after obtaining details of the hospital where she is undergoing treatment. DCP Atul Zende told ‘The Perfect Voice’ that among the 24 Nigerian nationals detained, there are 14 men, six women, and four children. Out of the 24, seven individuals possess valid documents. Eight others do not have visas or passports, while passports of nine individuals have been submitted before the court as criminal cases against them are currently under trial. During the combing operation, Navi Mumbai Police also apprehended a Nigerian national wanted in a narcotics-related case. He has been handed over to Navi Mumbai Police custody. Out of the 24 detained individuals, nine already have cases registered against them under the NDPS Act. Police said no drugs were recovered from the detained Nigerians during the operation. However, investigations are underway to ascertain whether they have any links to drug trafficking activities. Police revealed that two Nigerian nationals had earlier also been arrested from the Palava area. The investigation has found that foreign nationals are able to obtain accommodation in the Khoni-Palava area at cheaper rental rates, leading to their settlement in the locality. Police are also investigating whether landlords had informed the police before renting flats to the Nigerian nationals. Action will be initiated against landlords who failed to provide such information to the police. Property agents who acted as intermediaries in arranging accommodation for these Nigerian nationals will also face action, DCP Zende said. The combing operation was carried out under the supervision of Assistant Commissioner of Police Suhas Hemade and Senior Police Inspector Sandipan Shinde of Manpada Police Station. The operation involved 2 ACP, 25 officers, and 80 police personnel.

Knives out in legislature

Updated: Mar 21, 2025

Disha Salian

Mumbai: Death of celebrity manager Disha Salian in 2020 once again rocked the Maharashtra legislature on Thursday. While cabinet ministers Nitesh Rane and Shambhuraj Desai demanded that Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Aditya Thackeray be arrested in the case, BJP MLA Amit Satam in the assembly and another BJP member Chitra Wagh in the council demanded that the report of SIT to probe Salian’s death be made public.


Incidentally, amidst repeated disruptions in both the houses, some members from the treasury benches were seen speaking in favour of Aditya Thackeray, while Shiv Sena (UBT) members like Adv Anil Parab were seen supporting the BJP members’ demand that the report of the SIT probe be made public. In addition, there were allegations and counter allegations and personal accusations among members from the treasury and opposition benches which led to heated debate on occasions.


The opposition termed the attempts from the treasury benches to link Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Aditya Thackeray’s name in the case, as a ‘conspiracy’.


“I think this matter has gone to the court. We have no idea what he (Disha’s father) has said, but Aaditya Thackeray is a mature leader, a young leader. The Bharatiya Janata Party is conspiring to defame him by putting pressure on him. We don’t need to answer to this conspiracy. The court will answer,” Ambadas Danve said.


Earlier in the day, when the house gathered for the business, Minister of State for Home appraised the assembly of the status in this case. “SIT has been formed to probe in the case. Their report has not been received as yet. However, the government shall act according to directives from the court,” the minister told the house.


Another BJP minister Nitesh Rane, however, said that since Satish Salian has levelled allegations against an MVA minister, that leader be treated like a common person and that everybody should be treated equally before the law. Shiv Sena minister Shambhuraj Desai too supported the demand. “Since the allegations are grave, the person in question should be immediately arrested and the case be investigated,” he said.


Later, while speaking to media in the legislature premises, Rane asked Uddhav Thackeray to come clean on the issue. “If they say that we are politicizing the issue, Uddhav Thackeray should also tell the people why he had called, not just once but twice, to the then union minister Narayan Rane urging him to save his son?” Rane said.


He also accused the opposition of shying away from coming clean on the issue. “If they feel that we are not telling the truth, they should say so in the house. But they are shying away from doing so. Bhaskar Jadhav, who is always aggressive, was nowhere to be seen when this issue came up in the house. Sunil Prabhu too escaped the house under the pretext of a phone call. I challenge them to say that whatever I said on the issue is wrong,” Rane said.


He also said that Aditya Thackeray should resign on moral grounds till his name is cleared in the case.


BJP MLA Amit Satam demanded that the details of the SIT probe be made public so that the people would know if the probe is headed in right direction.


Interestingly, while the ruling parties were targeting the opposition in the case, senior BJP leader Sudhir Mungantiwar surprised all with his unexpected support to Thackerays. “I do not have any evidences in the case. But if her father has made any fresh allegations that needs to be investigated thoroughly. The assembly can discuss the issue at length tomorrow. In the meanwhile, members like Rane, who seem to have some evidences in the case should hand them over to the investigating agencies and help the probe,” he told the house.


Shiv Sena’s Sanjay Gaikwad and Sheetal Mhatre too toed the line and demanded that more and more evidences should come forth.


Similarly, when members of treasury benches were pushing for revealing the details of the probe till date to the public, Shiv Sena (UBT) member Anil Parab supported the demand. “Doing that shall conclusively prove the innocence of Aditya Thackeray,” he said.

Comments


bottom of page